Self Portraits Part One: Line Drawings
You can continue on with other self-portrait ideas.
- Cardstock: to discourage tracing and to hold up to future painting.
- Black markers: if you use Sharpies, put something under the paper to protect desks!
- Printed out photos of students: against a white backdrop
Part One: Setup
- Show examples of self portraits.
- Take photos of students against a white backdrop.
- Download photos to computer.
- If possible, adjust contrast and brightness to make photo almost purely black and white, with little grey.
- Print out photos (this will take longer than you expect!)
Part Two: Demonstrate
- Outline the essential lines of your face with sharpie.
- Fold traced photo into four quarters.
- Think out loud while drawing essential lines onto blank paper
- Completing the four quadrants
Part Three: Students Draw
- Set the stage: silence with calm background music
- Pass out photos (facedown to avoid student embarrassment!)
- Go over initial directions and reinforce the need to go slowly and carefully
- I give students one do-over in case they really botch it :)