Investigating Population Changes
Students will analyze graphs showing how three countries' populations have aged over 70 years.
Credit to Mike Saltz for the idea.
- First, students notice changes in the age of the United States' population from 1950 to 2020.
- Next, they look at the US, Japan, and Afghanistan's age graphs together, finding similarities and differences.
- Finally, they consider what unique needs each population would have in 2020 and create a business idea to serve that need.
- Worksheet Part 1 (PDF)
- Worksheet Part 1 (Google Slides)
- Worksheet Part 2 (PDF)
- Worksheet Part 2 (Google Slides)
- Worksheet Part 3 (PDF)
- Worksheet Part 3 (Google Slides)
- US Animation Loop
- Japan Animation Loop
- Afghanistan Animation Loop
- PopulationPyramids.net A website with even more population data for every country.