How Many Students Can Fit On The Playground?
Using Google Earth and authentic measurements, students will reach a reasonable estimate of how many students could fit on their playground.
Students will need:
- a measuring tape or another tool for measuring
- access to Google Earth or a similar mapping tool that can measure lengths
- Make guesses about how many people could fit on a four-square court.
- Calculate the area of a four-square court as well as how much space a student takes up.
- Calculate how many people really could fit on a four-square court and then test it with real kids.
- Calculate how many students could fit onto the entire playground using Google Earth.
- Extend the idea to calculate how many people could fit into other large spaces.