Better Stories Part 5: Plot Structure
Students will add structure to their plots using the time-tested, five-act model. I introduce it using several student-friendly stories.
Students will base their plots around these five acts:
- Exposition - The setup before the actual story begins.
- Rising Action - A series of adventures which change the characters.
- Climax - The big test to see if characters have truly changed.
- Falling Action - Shows us the immediate results of the climax.
- Denouement - A parallel of the exposition. Shows us that the characters' changes have lasted.
We'll use Finding Nemo as a model of how these acts work together.