Lines, Line Segments, Rays, and Infinity!
In this video, students learn about the difference between lines, line segments, and rays. We differentiate by highlighting these interesting aspects of infinity and lines:
- A ray and a line are both infinitely long, so they're both equally long, even though rays have an endpoint!
- Line segments, lines, and rays all have the same number of points (infinity), even though line segments have a clear end and lines are infinitely long
- I introduce students to lines, line segments, and rays. Finally, I pose the delicious question: "Which is the longest?"
- Now we ponder: "Which has more points on it?"
- Finally, students explore an idea such as: "What would a ray think about a line?" or "If a line wrote a poem to a line segment, what would it be like?" They can then create a mini-story, a comic, a play, or whatever you see fit!