Creating Escher-Style Tessellating Art
Students will create a piece of art based on their own tessellating shape.
- A notecard for each student
- A black pen or marker for each student
- A blank piece of paper for each student
- Colored pencils/crayons
Examples of Escher's Works
- Many of his "changing tessellations" are from this period
- Increasingly advanced tessellations
- My favorite of Escher's tessellations, built into a möbius strip!
- A set of links from Byrdseed.com
- The Color Scheme Designer website
- Wonderful examples of geometric shapes that tessellate
- A simple online tessellation designer from PBS
- A teaching book: Teaching Tessellating Art
Props to Mrs. Williams, my 4th and 5th-grade teacher, for showing me how to tesselate!
- Students watch an introduction to tessellations.
- Next, they create their own tessellating shape.
- Finally, they repeat that shape to create a piece of tessellating art.