What if we grouped the letters of the alphabet by… their symmetry?
Students will investigate symmetry in the alphabet, forming words with reflective symmetry, and eventually creating full sentences.
- Students explore the differences in symmetry of a square and a rectangle.
- Then they note the symmetry of capital letters.
- They try to remake a letter so that it has symmetry, but is still readable.
- They search for the longest words made entirely of symmetric letters.
- Finally, they create a sentence using only words made of symmetric letters.